Change Detection provides monitoring of your Device for changes in either IMEI movement or location (registered cell tower).
- IMEI is triggered when IMEI movement occurs (that is, the SIM card is taken out of the device and moved into another device).
- Registred Cell Tower Location triggers when the device moves out of range of the registered cell tower into the range of another.
Following are examples of when the Change Detection condition is useful.
Registered Cell Tower Location Example
A stationary business device suddenly changes cell tower locations. This movement is unexpected and should not happen. The business is interested in discovering why the movement occurred, where the device went, and at what time the movement occurred.
An ice distribution business delivers in a specific area and does not go outside that delivery area. Sensors are used for detecting temperature changes and are registered on a specific cell tower. If the device moves outside of the registered cell tower, the sensor would indicate a different cell tower. If the Registered Cell Tower Location condition is set, an alert is triggered.
The IMEI condition detects when a SIM has been removed in a device and placed in another device. If this switch occurs, it could indicate misuse of the SIM and result in unanticipated customer charges.
A businessman inadvertently left his device in an unsecured location. An individual discovered the device, removed the SIM card, and installed it in their device where they began streaming movies.
The owner of the device needs to be alerted that the SIM has been switched to a new device before erroneous data charges are incurred so that they can call their data provider and request the SIM be suspended.
Setting a Change Detection Condition
- Select Rules from the Dashboard navigator to open the Rules page.
- Click Create Rule.
- Enter a name for the new Rule.
- Select the Severity level (Low, Medium, High, or Critical). The default is Medium.
- Click Add Conditions.
- Click Change Detection and click Continue.
- Select whether you want to monitor your device for changes in IMEI location or Registered Cell Tower location.
- Click Continue.
- Click Continue again.
- Verify that your selection is as intended. If you need to change it, click Back to return.
- Click Save.
Important! No other Condition can be combined with Change Detection. Refer to Following Rule Condition Restrictions for a list of all restrictions.
Once the Condition is saved, it is displayed in the Conditions section of the Create a Rule page.
You can be notified when an alert is triggered by selecting Add Action and entering one or more e-mail addresses. If you need help, refer to Receiving e-mail notifications about Alerts.
When the Condition and e-mail addresses have been added, click Create Rule.
- SecurityPro checks whether a name for the Rule has been entered. If a name has not been entered, the Rule is not created and the Rule name field is highlighted in red. Enter a Rule name and click Create Rule to create the Rule.
- If a Severity Level for this Rule has not been selected, it defaults to Medium.
Once created, the new Rule is added to the list on the Rules page.
You can now assign this Rule to a Group. For help, refer to Assigning a Rule to a Group.
Important! SecurityPro only monitors your devices to notify you when your Device is not behaving as expected. It does not resolve this behavior. You must take action to resolve your Device’s behavior and then acknowledge within SecurityPro that you have done so.